VMware File System (or VMFS) is a proprietary, hierarchical, shared storage cluster file system that supports active / active access by up to 64 concurrent ESXi hosts. VMFS was designed by VMware to support the unique needs of Virtual Machines for fast, high capacity, highly available and scalable storage.
In this class you will learn:
- The unique features and benefits of VMFS
- How to create a VMFS datastore on shared storage
- Two capacity management techniques - LUN Spanning and Growing LUNs
- The pros and cons of ESXi's three multipathing solutions: Round Robin, Fixed Multipathing and Most Recently Used Multipathing
- How to change the multipathing setting for a VMFS datastore to maximize performance and availability
- The features and benefits of VMware APIs for Array Integration (VAAI) capable storage
- How to maximize performance to a SAN that does not support Active / Active multipathing
- Best Practices when working with shared SAN storage
By the end of this course you will be able to connect your ESXi host to shared SAN storage, configure datastores for optimum performance and reliability, select the best multipathing option for your SAN and build / administer SAN storage according to best practices.
Get VMware vSphere & View Training... for less!
What do you do if you need to learn VMware but can't afford the $4,000 - $6,000 charged for authorized training; or you can't find a training event that works with your schedule? Now, you can enroll in my equivalent VMware vSphere 6 and Horizon View video-on-demand training... for less.
I have created courses that together offer over 36 hours of
VMware vSphere 6 lectures (about 8 days of instructor lead training at
4hrs lecture per day normally offered in live instructor led training). With Video-On-Demand training, I can provide more insight and
detail, without the time constraints that a normal instructor led
training class would impose. My goal is to give you a similar or better
training experience than classroom training - at about 10% of the cost.
Run This Class At Your Office
ESXLab maintains a pool of high-scoring, experienced instructors who would be glad to lead this event at your place of work. If you have 5 or more people and would like to run live instructor led (distance or on-site) training, please contact me for a quote.
I am an Information Technology consultant / trainer with over 25 years of experience in system administration, networking, security, infrastructure and security.
worked for 10 years as a UNIX programmer / consultant before moving
to Linux in 1995. I started working with VMware products in 2001 and decided to focus exclusively on VMware in 2004. I earned my first VMware Certified
Professional (VCP) designation on ESX 2.0 in 2004 (VCP #: 993). I have
also earned VCP in ESX 3, and in vSphere 4 and 5.
My VMware Work Experience
- I have been providing VMware consulting and training for more than 12 years. I have lead literally hundreds of classes and taught thousands of people how to use VMware. I teach both introductory and advanced VMware classes.
- I worked for VMware as a senior contract VMware Certified Instructor (VCI) and consultant for almost 5 years. One of my regular duties was to help mentor new VCI's - helping them prepare for and successfully deliver vSphere classes.
- After leaving VMware, I launched my own training business focused on VMware virtualization in 2008. In 2013, VMware called me back to help them ramp up support services for the upcoming vSphere 5.1 product launch.
- Prior to VMware, I worked as a contract consultant / trainer for RedHat (I hold RHCE, RHCI and RHCX), Global Knowledge, Learning Tree and many other training and consulting companies.
I hold a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Math from the University of Toronto. I also hold numerous industry certifications including VMware Certified Professional on VMware Infrastructure 2 & 3 and vSphere 4 & 5 (ret.), VMware Certified Instructor (ret.), RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE), RedHat Certified Instructor (RHCI) and RedHat Certified Examiner (RHCX) as well as certifications from LPI, HP, SCO and others.
I hope to see you in one of my VMware classes very soon... If you have questions, please contact me directly.
And... please link to me on LinkedIn - https://ca.linkedin.com/in/larrykarnis