Regularly patching ESXi hosts improves Security by eliminating vulnerabilities, enhances Reliability by updating software components, provides Features by updating your ESXi host with the latest feature enhancements, and gives you improved Support for new and existing hardware through driver updates.
In this course, you will learn:
- The importance of patching and updating your ESXi hosts
- How to install, configure and use VMware Update Manager (VUM)
- About Patch Baselines (named sets of patches) and Baseline Groups (named sets of Baselines)
- How to create Patch Baselines and Groups with must be applied patches
- The differences and use cases for Fixed patch baselines versus Dynamic patch baselines
- How to Attach a Baseline to an ESXi host
- How to Perform a Scan for Updates to see if your host is out of compliance with attached Baselines
- How to Patch your ESXi 6 host to bring it back into compliance
- How VMware Update Manager is configured
- How to patch ESXi hosts in an HA or a combined HA + DRS cluster
- VMware best practices for configuring clusters
By the end of this course, you will be able to understand and configure VUM, create and update Patch Baselines, attach baselines to ESXi hosts, to perform compliance scans and to patch non-compliant ESXi hosts to bring them into compliance. The result will be ESXi hosts that are more stable, more reliable and more secure.
Get VMware vSphere & View Training... for less!
Q: What do you do if you need to learn VMware but can't afford the $4,000 - $6,000 charged for authorized VMware vSphere training?
A: Enroll in my equivalent VMware vSphere 6.5 and Horizon View video-on-demand training... for less.
Many name is Larry Karnis - and I create courses that will help you start your career as a VMware vSphere 6.5 administrator, and help you build you knowledge and skill in vSphere 6.5 advanced features and capabilities.
With Video-On-Demand training, I can provide more insight and detail, without the time constraints that a normal instructor led training class would impose. My goals are to:
- Give you a better training experience than classroom training
- Help you learn more than you can learn in a 5 day class
- Give you the opportunity to learn at your own pace
- Provide you to supporting books and hands-on lab rentals
At price points that you (or your boss) will appreciate.
Run This Class At Your Office
ESXLab maintains a pool of high-scoring, experienced instructors who would be glad to lead this event at your place of work. If you have 5 or more people and would like to run live instructor led (distance or on-site) training, please contact me for a quote.
I am an Information Technology consultant / trainer with over 30 years of experience in system administration, networking, security, infrastructure and security.
I worked for 10 years as a UNIX programmer / consultant before moving to Linux in 1995. I started working with VMware products in 2001 and decided to focus exclusively on VMware in 2004. I earned my first VMware Certified Professional (VCP) designation on ESX 2.0 in 2004 (VCP #: 993). I have also earned VCP in ESX 3, and in vSphere 4 and 5.
My VMware Work Experience
- I have been providing VMware consulting and training for more than 14 years. I have lead literally hundreds of classes and taught thousands of people how to use VMware. I teach both introductory and advanced VMware classes.
- I worked for VMware as a senior contract VMware Certified Instructor (VCI) and consultant for almost 5 years. One of my regular duties was to help mentor new VCI's - helping them prepare for and successfully deliver vSphere classes.
- After leaving VMware, I launched my own training business focused on VMware virtualization in 2008. In 2013, VMware called me back to help them ramp up support services for the upcoming vSphere 5.1 product launch.
- Prior to VMware, I worked as a contract consultant / trainer for RedHat (I hold RHCE, RHCI and RHCX), Global Knowledge, Learning Tree and many other training and consulting companies.
I hold a Bachelor of Science degree (majoring in Computer Science with a minor in Math) from the University of Toronto, Canada.
I also hold numerous industry certifications including VMware Certified Professional on VMware Infrastructure 2 & 3 and vSphere 4 & 5 (ret.), VMware Certified Instructor (ret.), RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE), RedHat Certified Instructor (RHCI) and RedHat Certified Examiner (RHCX) as well as certifications from LPI, HP, SCO and others.
I hope to see you in one of my VMware classes very soon... If you have questions, please contact me directly.
And... please link to me on LinkedIn - https://ca.linkedin.com/in/larrykarnis