One of the greatest advantages of running your workloads in Virtual Machines is the ability to migrate VMs from one host to the next or one datastore to the next - even if the virtual machine is powered on and in service! In this course you will learn about Virtual Machine cold migration (powered off), VMotion migration (power on - migrate CPU / Memory state) and Storage VMotion migration(powered on - migrate storage state). Using Cold, VMotion and Storage VMotion migration you will be able to balance out server and storage capacity and resource demands, and to evacuate ESXi hosts of running VMs in advance of performing server maintenance.
In this class you will learn:
- The capabilities and benefits of Cold, VMotion and Storage VMotion migration
- The impact and overhead of Cold migration
- How VMotion works and how it can safely migrate the CPU/Memory state of your running VM from one host to another
- ESXi host hardware, configuration and shared storage requirements for VMotion hot VM migration
- VM configuration requirements to successfully migrate it to new hosts and/or datastores
- How to perform ESXi host physical CPU compatibility checks to ensure that you can safely VMotion a VM between hosts
- How Storage VMotion works and its Use Cases
By the end of this course you will understand Virtual Machine migration. You will know how to configure your ESXi hosts, networks, Virtual Machines and storage for VMotion compatibility, and how to troubleshoot VMotion validation warnings and errors.
Get VMware vSphere & View Training... for less!
Q: What do you do if you need to learn VMware but can't afford the $4,000 - $6,000 charged for authorized VMware vSphere training?
A: Enroll in my equivalent VMware vSphere 6.5 and Horizon View video-on-demand training... for less.
Many name is Larry Karnis - and I create courses that will help you start your career as a VMware vSphere 6.5 administrator, and help you build you knowledge and skill in vSphere 6.5 advanced features and capabilities.
With Video-On-Demand training, I can provide more insight and detail, without the time constraints that a normal instructor led training class would impose. My goals are to:
- Give you a better training experience than classroom training
- Help you learn more than you can learn in a 5 day class
- Give you the opportunity to learn at your own pace
- Provide you to supporting books and hands-on lab rentals
At price points that you (or your boss) will appreciate.
Run This Class At Your Office
ESXLab maintains a pool of high-scoring, experienced instructors who would be glad to lead this event at your place of work. If you have 5 or more people and would like to run live instructor led (distance or on-site) training, please contact me for a quote.
I am an Information Technology consultant / trainer with over 30 years of experience in system administration, networking, security, infrastructure and security.
I worked for 10 years as a UNIX programmer / consultant before moving to Linux in 1995. I started working with VMware products in 2001 and decided to focus exclusively on VMware in 2004. I earned my first VMware Certified Professional (VCP) designation on ESX 2.0 in 2004 (VCP #: 993). I have also earned VCP in ESX 3, and in vSphere 4 and 5.
My VMware Work Experience
- I have been providing VMware consulting and training for more than 14 years. I have lead literally hundreds of classes and taught thousands of people how to use VMware. I teach both introductory and advanced VMware classes.
- I worked for VMware as a senior contract VMware Certified Instructor (VCI) and consultant for almost 5 years. One of my regular duties was to help mentor new VCI's - helping them prepare for and successfully deliver vSphere classes.
- After leaving VMware, I launched my own training business focused on VMware virtualization in 2008. In 2013, VMware called me back to help them ramp up support services for the upcoming vSphere 5.1 product launch.
- Prior to VMware, I worked as a contract consultant / trainer for RedHat (I hold RHCE, RHCI and RHCX), Global Knowledge, Learning Tree and many other training and consulting companies.
I hold a Bachelor of Science degree (majoring in Computer Science with a minor in Math) from the University of Toronto, Canada.
I also hold numerous industry certifications including VMware Certified Professional on VMware Infrastructure 2 & 3 and vSphere 4 & 5 (ret.), VMware Certified Instructor (ret.), RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE), RedHat Certified Instructor (RHCI) and RedHat Certified Examiner (RHCX) as well as certifications from LPI, HP, SCO and others.
I hope to see you in one of my VMware classes very soon... If you have questions, please contact me directly.
And... please link to me on LinkedIn - https://ca.linkedin.com/in/larrykarnis